VIENNA CLASSICAL MUSIC ACADEMY
2nd INTERNATIONAL COMPOSITION COMPETITION - 2022
COMPETITION RULES & REGULATIONS
1. The competition is open to composers of all ages and nationalities
2. Applications are made according to the principles in this specification.
3. The subject of the composition is free.
4. Works that have been published before but have not won a competition can participate.
5. Compositions should be prepared as PDF and submitted anonymously.
6. Composers should not write their credentials on the score
7. Competitors from the time this application, declared that it accepts all the rules of the competition and be deemed to have committed
8. Participants can apply at www.viennaclassicalmusic.org , the official website, by uploading all the necessary documents from the application tab. The competition results will be published here on the competition page.
*The competition will be held under 3 main headings.
1) Symphonic Orchestra Composition Competition
2) String Instruments Chamber Orchestra Composition Competition
3) Chamber Music Composition Competition
* Sections of the works should be presented in A4 format until 24.04.2022 in PDF format.
* The length of the works is limited to a maximum of 15 minutes. (There is no minimum time limit)
* The works should be composed on the basis of Classical Music and Modern Classical Music genres. (Not Pop, Jazz, etc..)
*The Orchestration of works can include the maximum following instruments enrollment
INSTRUMENTS THAT CAN BE USED IN THE SYMPHONIC ORCHESTRA COMPOSITION COMPETITION
WOODWINDS: 2pax flute (piccolo), 2pax oboe (cor anglais), 2pax clarinet in Bb, 2pax bassoon
BRASSES: 4pax horn in f, 2pax trumpet in Bb, 3pax trombone (2 tenor 1bass)
PERCUSSIONS: 2pax timpani, piatti
STRINGS: 8pax 1st violin, 8pax 2nd violin, 6pax viola, 6pax violoncello, 3pax contrabass
INSTRUMENTS THAT CAN BE USED IN THE STRING INSTRUMENTS CHAMBER ORCHESTRA COMPOSITION COMPETITION
6pax 1st violin, 5pax 2nd violin, 4pax viola, 3pax violoncello, 2pax contrabass, 1pax Piano or Clavichord
INSTRUMENTS THAT CAN BE USED IN THE CHAMBER MUSIC COMPOSITION COMPETITION
WOODWINDS: flute, oboe, clarinet in Bb, bassoon,
BRASSES: horn in f, trumpet in Bb, trombone,
STRINGS: violin, viola, violoncello, contrabass,
IMPORTANT NOTE about the Chamber Music Composition Competition
A minimum of 2 and a maximum of 5 instruments should be used from the above-mentioned instruments.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR PARTICIPATION IN THE COMPETITION
* ID of the participant.
* Resume and contact information of the participant (e-mail, telephone)
* Photo of the participant at least 300 dpi resolution
* Confirmation letter and parental identity stating that he/she will participate in the contest received from his parents for participants under the age of 18.
* A receipt showing that the application fee for the competition has been paid by any of the options specified on the payment tab on the website.
* Contestants are required to send the PDF file (Max 100 Mb) of their works. They can send mp3 files (Max 100Mb) if they want.
* It is not possible for the competitors to impose any copyright or restriction on all audio and video recordings at each stage of the competition organized by the organization. All broadcasting rights of the contest belong to the institution organizing the contest.
65 Euros for each participant in theSymphonic Orchestra Piece Composition Competition
45 Euros for each participant in the String Instruments Chamber Orchestra Piece Composition Competition
45 Euros for each participant in the Chamber Music Composition Competition
• Participants have the right to participate in any of these 3 competitions or in 3 separate competitions with as many works as they want. However, the amount to be paid at the time of application must be paid separately for each application.
* As the first prize of the SYMPHONIC ORCHESTRA COMPOSITION COMPETITION, the composer of the piece will be invited to Vienna and the winning piece will be performed by the Wiener Stadtorchester. (Vienna City Orchestra) Audio-video recording of the work will be taken. Winners are responsible for their transportation and accommodation.
* As the first prize of the STRING INSTRUMENTS CHAMBER ORCHESTRA COMPOSITION COMPETITION, the composer of the piece will be invited to Vienna and the winning piece will be performed by the Streichinstrumente Kammerorchester des Wiener Stadtorchesters (String Instruments Chamber Orchestra of the Vienna City) Audio-video recording of the work will be taken. Winners are responsible for their transportation and accommodation.
* As the first prize of the CHAMBER MUSIC COMPOSITION COMPETITION, the composer of the piece will be invited to Vienna and the winning piece will be performed by an ensemble consisting of members of the Wiener Stadtorchester. (Vienna City Orchestra). Audio and video recordings of the work will be taken. Winners are responsible for their transportation and accommodation.
* The works will be evaluated by the determined juries.
* The decision made is final and cannot be changed.
* Communication with the jury members is a reason for disqualification.
24.04.2022 Application deadline.
27.04.2022 Announcement of the finalists.
30.04.2022 Winners announcements
28-29.05.2022 VCMA - Award ceremony & concert as part of the spring concert with Wiener Stadtorchester